The Section 8 Rental Assistance Payments Program is a Federal program designed to provide rental assistance for low income families.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, or national origin.
This program is aimed at families who are currently paying more than 30% of their adjusted gross, monthly income for rent and utilities, and for those who need rental assistance in order to live in “safe, decent and sanitary” housing. Mountain Projects and the Federal Government have a special commitment to aid the homeless, low income, elderly, handicapped, disabled and large families.
MPI currently has 1008 vouchers to help families in both Haywood and Jackson Counties. Typically 43% of the clients we help are elderly, handicapped or disabled. Once our clients receive a voucher they choose the home they want to live in. We have more than 700 landlords within the two counties that work with this program.
Review the Streamlined Annual PHA Plan, 50075-HP 2023 – The 5-Year and Annual PHA Plans provide a ready source for interested parties to locate basic PHA policies, rules, and requirements concerning the PHA’s operations, programs, and services, and informs HUD, families served by the PHA, and members of the public of the PHA’s mission, goals and objectives for serving the needs of low- income, very low- income, and extremely low- income families.
Addressing Tenant Concerns Regarding Rent and the Temporary Suspension of Evictions for Nonpayment of Rent
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) developed this flyer to provide Housing Choice Voucher (HCV), Public Housing, and Section 8 Moderate Rehabilitation (Mod Rehab) participants with important information and resources about paying rent during the national emergency concerning the coronavirus pandemic.
What is the suspension of evictions about?
Evictions for nonpayment of rent, and charges/fees for nonpayment of rent, have been temporarily suspended. This applies to all HUD-assisted participants from March 27, 2020 to July 24, 20201. Although your Public Housing Authority’s (PHA) Admissions and Continued Occupancy Policies (ACOP) and/or Administrative Plan may not be updated, please be aware that the suspension of evictions for nonpayment of rent is in place.
Having trouble making rent?
- Voucher and public housing participants: If you lost your job or had a significant loss of income, request an interim reexamination with the housing authority as soon as possible. Your rent can be adjusted to reflect the change in income or you may be eligible for a financial hardship exemption. Your housing authority may also know about other local resources.
- Voucher participants only: Contact your landlord right away. Reach out early to discuss potential payment plans or accommodations. Due to loss in income and the resulting interim reexamination, your rent adjustment may be retroactive. Confirm with the PHA and your landlord whether you will receive a credit for the previous month.What else should you know?
- Rent is still due during this time period and will accumulate if unpaid.
- Your landlord and the PHA cannot initiate a new eviction action for nonpayment of rent and youshould not receive a notice to vacate for nonpayment of rent from March 27, 2020 – July 24, 2020.
- Your landlord and the PHA cannot charge any late fees, or accrue charges/fees, and yourassistance cannot be terminated for past due rent in April, May, June and July 2020.
- If you are behind on rent after the suspension of evictions expire: Voucher participants need tonegotiatedirectlywithyourlandlordtodeterminerequirementstorepayunpaidrent. Otherwise, your landlord could file an eviction. Public housing participants need to work with the PHA to pay unpaid rent in a lump sum or set up a repayment agreement. Otherwise, your assistance could be terminated and/or the PHA could file an eviction.
- Evictions for nonpayment of rent filed with the court before March 27, 2020 can proceed if there is no conflict with state or local laws.
- The PHA or your landlord can still terminate assistance and evict for drug abuse, criminal activity, lease violations, fraud, repeated minor violations, other good cause, etc.
- HUD does not intervene or participate in eviction proceedings. If you feel you are being wrongfully evicted, contact your local legal aid organization or social service agencies. If you are a Voucher participant, you may also contact your local PHA.
Effective September 6, 2022, Jackson County Section 8 Rental Assistance is open for applications. Please call 828-586-2345 ext 1 to make an appointment to apply by telephone or in person.
|INCOME BASED HOUSING|
|AVIEMORE VILLAGE APTS.||55+YRS & DISABLED||828-627-2571|
|CAVALIER ARMS APTS.||828-456-6776|
|DEPOT ST. APTS.||828-627-1980|
|HICKORY HOLLOW APTS.||828-452-5789|
|LAKE VIEW APTS.||62+YRS &/OR DISABLED||828-648-3565|
|LAURELS OF JUNALUSKA||55+YRS||828-452-9747|
|MAUNEY COVE APTS.||828-452-1688|
|MEADOW LAND APTS.||828-452-1688|
|MOUNTAIN VIEW HOUSING||828-648-3565|
|SMOKY MEADOWS APTS.||828-648-1655|
|STONE RIDGE HOUSING||828-400-0917|
|TIMBER RIDGE APTS.||828-627-3371|
|WAYNESVILLE HOUSING AUTHORITY||828-456-6377|
|WINDY HILL APTS.||828-627-1980|
|JOE SAM QUEEN||828-452-1688|
|MAGGIE MOUNTAIN VACATIONS||828-926-4270|
|ABBY PARK, LLC||941-650-5440|
Owners With Multiple Units- Jackson County
Owner/Agent Name Phone Number
All Pro Property Management, Inc. 828-587-7368
(Sunita Wright-Property Management)
Chrismark Properties (Rita Mathis-Manager) 828-506-4435
Devin Development, Inc. 828-226-0335
Liz Broom 828-226-7070
Graber Properties 828-586-4629
Virginia Hawken 828-586-8670
Jack In The Box Inc. 828-586-0724
James Lee 828-506-0578
Marvin Jennings 828-506-0434
Anna Saunders 828-293-1352
Lee Simonds 828-400-0917
Premier Five (Bobby Owens) 828-226-0018
The Villages (Ann Selby-Agent) 828-631-0700
Blue Moon Rentals LLC 828-506-8701
Rick/Pam Wood 828-269-8090/ 828-586-2976
Shuler Brothers Properties 828-497-1300
Listed below are other housing opportunities available in Jackson County:
**Reedwood Manor Apartments (Must have children to apply.) 828-586-2253
**Jackson Village (Must be 62 years of age or greater to apply.) 828-586-4272
**River Park Apartments (Elderly, Disabled and/or Handicapped Only!) 828-631-0124
**The Haven at Mountain Oaks (Elderly,Disabled/Handicapped Only!) 828-586-3289
Ann Selby, Agent
**High Ridge Apartments 828-354-0235
(You have to apply at the office located on the property and be approved before we can assist you at this complex.)
**We no longer work with Nicol Arms Apartments, they have their own program.
NOTE: YOU MUST APPLY AT THE PROPERTY FOR THESE UNITS**
Our local newspaper is a weekly publication and you can check the classified section for rentals also at: